Friday 21 October 2011


























I spent an hour last friday sitting in a box all in the name of conceptual art. I've been interested in the concept of time and the psychology of how out brain processes time, how everybodies perception of time is different and how mad we would go if we had no incling of how time was passing.
So I sat in a box, using the walls to draw on, write my thoughts, quotes, how much time I think had passed, while on the outside real time was passing.
I found that by the end (a full hour had passed) I thought 45 minutes had passed. Time is a lot slower in the box and I felt a strange sense of anxiety not quite knowing what was going on on the outside or what time it was. Time really seemed to blur into one.

1 comment:

Matt said...

how can you take this further? This has been used as a punishment for many years from locking grown men and woman in tiny rooms to putting tiny children in big rooms. Often to give time for them to rest their brains to become what we say to be normal and better behaved. When we put ourselves there voluntarily what is it we are trying to do? Escape the outside world or to slow things down to help register?