Wednesday 9 November 2011

I have never been interested or really connected with painting because I always seemed to view it the way I view how I draw; in realism and literal representation, quite graphic. I've never learnt how to properly use paints in that way although I'm making some progress in oils... Last week, the final project in the diagnostic stage, I had to use the studio space around me to create a painting using acrylic and varnish.

I used parts of the cardboard box that I hadn't used for my conceptual art piece and I used an unconvential dimension. None of this was painted with a brush, all applied and mixed with strips of cardboard, dragging the paint and making single prints with the edge. I based my painting off the doors into the studios, the angular edges and the mesh in the windows. All my lines were horizontal or vertical and  I used masking tape in the last layers to create geometric shapes representing the sections in the window. I'd painting in mostly white and purple (adding yellow to compliment the purple) and I decided to mix a layer of green just to see what would happen and break a few conventions of what is 'harmonious' and 'complimentary'.

No comments: